(1) Rinella ME, Tacke F, Sanyal AJ, Anstee QM; participants of the AASLD/EASL workshop. Report on the AASLD/EASL joint workshop on clinical trial endpoints in NAFLD. Hepatology 2019; 70:1424-1436.
(2) Applications for FDA Approval to Market a New Drug. 21 CFR §314.500 (2019). https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=314&sho wFR=1. Accessed 09/10/2020
(3) US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Noncirrhotic nonalcoholic steatohepatitis with liver fibrosis: developing drugs for treatment draft guidance for industry. https://www.fda.gov/media/119044/download. Published December 2018. Accessed 09/10/2020
(4) Angulo P, Kleiner DK, Dam-Larsen, Adams LA, Bjornsson ES, Charatcharoenwitthaya P, et al. Liver fibrosis, but no other histologic features, is associated with long-term outcomes of patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2015; 149:389-397.
(5) Brunt EM, Kleiner DE, Wilson LA, Sanyal AJ, Neuschwander-Tetri BA; Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network. Improvements in histologic features and diagnosis associated with improvement in fibrosis in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: results from the Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis Clinical Research Network treatment trials. Hepatology 2019; 70:522-531.
(6) Kleiner DE, Brunt EM, Wilson LA, Behling C, Guy C, Contos M, et. al. Association of histologic activity with progression of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. JAMA Network Open 2019; 2: e1912565-e1912565.
(7) Ratziu V, Charlotte F, Heurtier A, Gombert S, Giral P, Bruckert E, et al. Sampling variability of liver biopsy in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 2005; 128:1898-1906.
(8) Vuppalanchi R, Unalp A, Van Natta ML, Cummings OW, Sandrasegaran KE, Hameed T, et al. Effects of liver biopsy sample length and number of readings on sampling variability in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 7:481-486.
(9) Rawlins SR, Mullen CM, Simon HM, Kim T, Landas SK, Walser MS, et al. Wedge and needle liver biopsies show discordant histopathology in morbidly obese patients undergoing Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Gastroenterol Rep 2013; 1:51-57.
(10) ICH Expert Working Group. ICH harmonised tripartite guideline: the extent of population exposureto assess clinical safety for drugs intended for long-term treatment of non-life-threatening conditions E1. https://database.ich.org/sites/default/files/E1_Guideline.pdf. Published October 27, 1994. Accessed 09/10/2020
(11) US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Compensated cirrhosis related to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: developing drugs for treatment guidance for industry. https://www.fda.gov/media/127738/download. Published June 2019. Accessed 09/10/2020.
(12) Han MAT, Altayar O, Hamdeh S, Takyar V, Rotman Y, Etzion O, et al. Rates of and factors associated with placebo response in trials of pharmacotherapies for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019; 17:616-629.
(13) Glass O, Filozof C, Noureddin M, Berner-Hansen M, Schabel E, Omokaro SO, et. al. Standardization of diet and exercise in clinical trials of NAFLD-NASH: Recommendations from the Liver Forum. J Hepatol 2020; 73: 680-693.
(14) US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. Guidance for industry expedited programs for serious conditions: drugs and biologics. https://www.fda.gov/media/86377/download. Published May 2014. Accessed 09/10/2020. Author names in bold designate shared co-first authorship.